Whether you are a frequent traveler or just have a busy schedule, you can still have a pet.
Some low-maintenance pets can be left alone while you’re away.
Check out which animals are okay with that and won’t suffer while you’re not at home.
IN THIS ARTICLE:
Pets That Can Be Left Alone
If you are looking for that kind of pet, don’t worry, there are plenty of pets that are pretty okay with a little bit of solitude. So here we’ll talk about pets that can be left at your home for the better part of a day.
- Cats – Known as independent animals, cats can be left alone for a day or two. But keep in mind that not all cats like that. Also, kitties require more attention than older cats. Mature cats can be safely left for 24 hours. Just ensure enough food, water and easy access to the litter box.
- Gerbils – They are fine to be left alone, but gerbils are also social, so it’s best to ensure a cage-mate. Some vets said that you can leave them for up to a week if they have a mate and enough food and water. Plus, they prefer a warm environment.
- Hermit Crabs – These animals can live up to 30 years! That’s amazing. Hermit crabs can be left alone for up to a week. Leave them enough water, it’s crucial for them.
- Hamsters – Mainly nocturnal, hamsters sleep during the day and are active at night. So you can easily leave it alone all day, he won’t notice.
- Tarantulas – You can leave them for a week or even more since they don’t eat frequently. But they do need a water source, so ensure plenty of water for them.
- Lizards – Usually, lizards can stay home alone for a day. Some types of lizards can be left for longer, but that depends on the type. You need to ensure fresh vegetables and a heat source.
- Snakes – They are easy to manage while you aren’t at home. You can leave them home alone for up to a week or two. Snakes have a slow metabolism and require a heat source and enough clean water.
- Fish – For example, a goldfish is a great choice for workaholics, since they don’t require long walks, playtime, much food, etc. If you plan to be away for a few days, consider slow-release feeder blocks for your pet fish.
- Mice – Mice require shelter, food and water and they will be fine for a day or two. While female mice can be kept together, avoid leaving two males together. They will fight each other. Leave them two bowls of water, because mice can dehydrate easily.
- Guinea Pigs – These adorable rodents can’t be left alone for more than one day. Unfortunately, they are very susceptible to illness, dehydration and others. If you are going to be gone longer than 24 hours, ask your friend or family member to check on them.
- Rats – Ideal for weekend travelers, rats can be left for a day or two, but not longer. These animals are very susceptible to getting sick from their urine.
- Rabbits – If you keep your rabbit in a hutch, it can be left alone overnight. Don’t leave them alone for longer, since they require enough food, water and companionship. Make sure that your beloved rabbit doesn’t have access to any electric wires.
- Chickens – Sounds a bit unusual, but some people have chickens as pets. They are very easy to care for, so you can leave them for a day or even more. However, they need a lot of food, water and shelter for sleeping and in case of bad weather.
- Turtles – Some turtle experts said that these animals can live 160 days without food. if their metabolism slows down, they will hibernate. You can leave them for up to a week.
- Hedgehogs – In some states, it isn’t legal to have hedgehogs as a pet. So check that in the first place. You can leave them home alone for a few days, but make sure they have enough food, water and warmth.
- Sea Monkeys – This sea creature can be left for a few days since it can be fed once in five days. They are very interesting to watch and if tank conditions are good for them, they will continue to breed.
Guide For Leaving Them Alone
Although these animals don’t require special care, that doesn’t mean you should neglect them. When you’re outside, all of them must have enough food and water (you can put two or even three bowls of water in case one spill) while you are at work or traveling or something else.
There are also some other things you should think about when you’re leaving your pets alone at home:
Whether you have a dog or cat – don’t leave your food on the table or kitchen counter, they will eat it or make a mess. Also, cats should have a clean and easy-to-access litter box. You should also check how to keep them off window sills to prevent accidents. If your pet likes to scratch the furniture, buy a protective cover for it.
For pets that should be locked in their cage (gerbils, hamsters, snakes, etc.) – check if the cage is locked and secured.
The heat source is essential for lizards and snakes – check it before you leave the house.
Rabbits are known as pets who like to chew everything, so keep the electric wires out of their reach.
Keep the windows closed if you own some exotic or dangerous pet (snakes, tarantulas).
Dog Breeds That Can Be Left Alone
All mentioned pets above are awesome, but you want a dog. Since dogs aren’t known as animals who like to spend their time alone, some breeds are requiring less maintenance than others.
Of course, all dogs have their limits. Here is the list:
- Greyhound – This breed doesn’t require that kind of bond with people like other dogs do. Of course, they love their owners but can relax easily on their own. Also, they will spend most of the day napping. When these dogs are younger, they require long walks, but as they get older, they don’t need so much activity.
- Lhasa Apso – In the past, this breed was used to guard Tibetan temples and monasteries, so they are independent and can be left alone. They are small but bold dogs.
- Basset Hound – These watchdogs are ideal for farms, city dwellings and life in the burbs. They like to sleep for many hours of the day and these dogs are very mellow and inactive. Ideal breed for people who work long hours.
- Maltese – These cute dogs have a lot of energy but don’t require as much exercise as other breeds. When they bark, Maltese wants to alert you about some unfamiliar sound, not for attention. If you want to leave them for several hours, keep them away from the front door and windows with a view of outdoor activity.
- Shiba Inu – This is one of the most popular dog breeds in Japan. Just like others on this list, they aren’t the needy type of dog. They are happy on their own and not overly affectionate.
- Standard Poodle – Highly intelligent breed with great character, the poodle has a very calm nature, so they can be left alone for an extended period. But, when it’s time to play, they are very active and full of energy.
- Cavalier King Charles Spaniel – If you live in an apartment, this breed is ideal for you. When compared to other spaniels, this one requires less exercise and barks less. Plus, they are ideal for families.
- Pug – They will easily accept a consistent routine of you coming and going, but you should do it gradually. Start with small alone-time sessions. He doesn’t require long daily exercise and doesn’t bark often.
- Japanese Chin – By nature, these dogs are self-sufficient and will easily entertain themselves. You just need to provide enough food and water for them.
- Senior dogs – Of course, they aren’t a breed, but old dogs are great at spending time alone. They like to sleep a lot and don’t require as much exercise as younger dogs or puppies.
How Long Dog Can Be Alone At Home?
If you decide to have a dog, keep in mind that most dogs cannot be left alone for more than 8 hours. Some breeds can be left alone longer, but inform yourself before adopting. You can ask your vet to get more info.
Even though these dog breeds will tolerate being alone, you need to learn the dog how to be alone for an extended period.
It is not recommended to get a puppy. They can suffer from different behavioral issues if left alone. Early socialization is critical for their healthy development. It’s a better idea to adopt an adult dog or an older dog.
How To Make It Easier For Your Dog?
We are pretty sure you want to make your dog’s alone-time less stressful when you aren’t at home. There are some things you can do.
- Having another pet – Of course, if you can provide appropriate conditions for another dog. If you have enough space and money (for the vet, food, medicaments, equipment, etc), consider this option.
- Provide toys – Dogs love to play. Choose toys filled with dog treats and your dog will love it. For their mental stimulation, you can buy an interactive toy, such as a Kong toy.
- Buy a pup camera – There are many budget-friendly pup cameras on the market. If you choose this solution, you’ll be just a few clicks away from communication with your dog.
- Turn on the TV – Or play your favorite music. Many dog owners claim their dogs enjoy watching TV, especially if there are some animals involved. Give it a try.
- Get a doggy door – If you have a home with a fenced yard, then a doggy door could be the best solution for you and your dog. This way, your dog will have free access to your home and yard. He can explore what’s happening outside if he wants.
- If you work near your home – You can come back home when you have a break and bring your dog for a walk or just cuddle with him. Also, you can engage your family member or friend to spend some time with your dog.
- A dog sitter or dog walker – If you conclude there’s no way your dog can stay alone anymore, you need to think about company for them. Find a trustworthy platform that has credentialed dog walkers or sitters who will spend some time with your animal when you can not.
To Sum Up
We saw what animals can stay at home alone for some amount of time when you’re at work or a place where you can’t take your pet. It is very important to know the difference between low maintenance and no maintenance. These animals still require adequate care so ensure them adequate conditions in your home when you’re not there.