Dogs are one of the most popular pets in the world, but also the biggest victim, according to statistics on dog cruelty. Breeds and dog owners have abused thousands of dogs each year, and many of them have ended in death.
Even if some people think that a dog is a man’s best friend, there are many cruel people who use them for canine medical experiments, and some statistics are shocking.
Do you know how many dogs are used for dog fights and which breeds are most neglected and abused? Or how many dogs from the shelter are used for medical experiments with harmful chemicals? If you are interested in answering these and many other questions related to this topic, keep reading.
Top 8 Dog Cruelty Facts
- Over 10 million animals in the United States are abused to death every year.
- About 65% of all abused animals are dogs.
- The most abused and neglected dogs in the world are Pitbulls.
- Around 10,000 bulldogs died in organized dogfights every year in the United States.
- Delaware has the highest animal cruelty rate.
- U.S. laboratories abuse around 75,000 dogs annually with medications.
- Animal and dog abusers are more likely to commit violent crimes.
- Statistics on animal abuse show there are over 10,000 puppy mills.
List of 19 Most Shocking Dog Cruelty Statistics & Facts
1. Over 10 million animals in the United States are abused to death every year
Shocking statistics revealed that over 10 million animals in the United States will be abused with fatal consequences every year. As the dog statistics show that in the United States are around 90 million dogs, we can conclude that 10% of all dogs will be abused every year.
2. There were 5,201 cases of animal cruelty reported to the FBI in 2018.
In 2018 there were 5,201 reported cases of animal cruelty, which includes dogs and many other animals. Ofocurse that the number of animal cruelty cases is much higher but still there are cases that are reported every day, which will save many dogs from death.
3. About 65% of all abused animals are dogs
The United States has over 100,00 puppy mills and over 2 million of them live in disturbing environments. One of the saddest statistics shows that more than half of abused animals, around 65% are dogs.
Unfortunately, there are no exact statistics that show how many dogs are abused in dogfighting, for medical researches, etc.
4. Statistics show that certain types of dogs are more prone to abuse
Not all dog breeds are prone to abuse, no matter which type of animal cruelty. There are two animal cruelty categories which include passive cruelty like starving and active like abuse or for example dogfighting.
5. The most abused and neglected dogs in the world are Pitbulls
Pitbulls are the number one breed that has the highest number of euthanization in the world, said shelter dog statistics. Also, they’re one of the most used dogs for dog fights.
Many of them live in cages and are starved and beaten so they can become meaner when fighting. Around 10,000 of them die in dogfighting rings.
6. There are dozens of homicides on dogfighting
Animal fighting including dogfighting is one of the forms of organized animal cruelty which can be compared to other crimes. Professional as well as amateur dogfight organization is popular all over the world, as well in the United States.
7. Around 10,00 bulldogs died in organized dogfights every year in the United States
There are organized gambling dog fight all over the world, as well as in the United States. About 10,000 bulldogs die every year in dog fights.
According to statistics, bulldogs are one of the most aggressive dog breeds but in many cases because of living conditions, such as cages
8. One in four abused dogs is a Pitbull
Statistics revealed that from all abused dogs each year, one in four abused dogs will be Pitbull. Many countries banned this breed to prevent dog cruelty.
9. An estimated 100,000 people are involved in professional dogfighting in the United States
Organized dog fight gambling involved many of the people who are organizing those horrible events, usually hiding in the basement and secret places.
There are an estimated 40,000 people involved in amateur dogfighting in the United States and more than 100,000 involved in professional dogfighting.
10. In a professional dogfight gamble and bet, a person can reach more than $100,000
Dogfighting gambles and bets can reach more than $100,000 per fight and that’s why the number of involved people increases every year.
There are many of those who’re arrested because of racketeering and bad behavior that include animal cruelty. Only from 2004 to 2008. there were more than 1,000 arrested.
11. According to research, Florida California has the most dogfighting cases
California is one of the states that have the most dogs per capita, but unfortunately, this is always connected with animal cruelty. In 2008, according to statistics, California has the most dogfighting cases.
12. Delaware has the highest animal cruelty rate
In Delaware, there were more than 113 reported animal cruelty per 100,000 people which places this country on the top list of states with the highest animal cruelty rate. Fortunately, the state recently passed a law that will protect the dogs from bad and life-threatening weather.
13. There are 49 states in America that have laws for animal torture
Animals are very protective in America, and almost all states in the United States have laws for animal torture. Only Iowa doesn’t have a law that provides felony penalties on the first offense, but we are sure they will also include it in the future.
14. In some states in North America chaining is illegal
Continous chaining of a dog is now illegal in some United States countries. Many owners hold their dogs on chains their entire lives which can cause on their temperaments, according to dog temperament statistics.
15. U.S. laboratories abuse around 75,000 dogs annually with medications
Unfortunately, dogs are one of the most used animals for testing. In the U.S. Laboratories around 75,000 dogs are abused with medications every year.
Some universities not only in the United States but around the world use shelter dogs for their experiments and usually use them in toxicology studies. This involves chemicals, harmful pesticides, and pharmaceutical medications.
Many laboratories used animals for their test, and one lab test can involve up to 120,000 animals.
16. Until 2000. military dogs were euthanized once they returned from the mission
One of the saddest statistics shows that any dog that served as the military dog was euthanized once he returned from the mission. The reason why dogs were euthanized was only because of the fear they will attack civilians. Fortunately, this stopped after 2000.
17. About half of all dogs who end up in shelters end up being put down because they remain unclaimed
According to dog shelter statistics, millions of dogs enter the shelter every year and many of them will be put down. About half of the dogs will be put down because they can’t be adopted and animal shelters are overcrowded. Fortunately, there are many no-kill shelters.
18. Animal and dog abusers are more likely to commit violent crimes
Different researches said that those who abused animals, including dogs, are more likely to commit violent crimes than those without a history of abuse.
Statistics revealed that around 75% of domestic violence victims reported that their partner killed or abused their pet. A shockingly high percentage shows how the problem with abusers is still on the rise.
19. Statistics on animal abuse show there are over 10,000 puppy mills
In the United States, according to animal abuse statistics, there are over 10,000 puppy mills. These mills breed more than 2 million dogs for the money every year.
The biggest problem is the horrible conditions in which puppy mills exist, including bad weather and wire cages that are stacked on top of each other.
To Sum Up
Summarizing all dog cruelty statistics and facts, we can conclude that dogs are one of the most abused animals in the world. Because the number of dogs increases every year, the percentage of dog cruelty is much higher, as well. Dogs are used for medical experiments, dog fighting, and puppy mills breeding. The most abused and neglected dog breed is Pitbull, and one in 4 Pitbulls will be abused every year. Fortunately, most of the states in the United States have dog laws for animal torture.